Ries Driving School
Teaching Drivers Education For Generations!
- Spring 1962: Ray Ries completes the Secondary Teachers’ Driver Education program at the University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh. He is now qualified to teach Driver’s Ed at the high school level.
- Summer 1962: Ray introduces Driver’s Education in Fond du Lac by teaching the first 19 students Classroom and Behind-the-Wheel at Goodrich High School (now formally known as Fond du Lac High School).
- 1967: Ray begins a twenty year legacy of full-time Driver’s Education instruction at Goodrich High School.
- 1968: The State of Wisconsin passes a law requiring students under the age 18 years old to take Driver’s Education.
- 1969: Ray establishes Ries Driving School, teaching Classroom part-time in the basement of his home. The fleet of vehicles for the first Behind-the-Wheel program was a 1969 Ford Galaxy. Family members help run the business at home as they are able.
- 1986: Ray’s son Joe becomes a licensed Driver’s Education instructor through the University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh.
- 1989: Joe Ries acquires Ries Driving School and begins offering full-time private Driver’s Education.
- 1991: Ries Driving School moves to 339 South Main Street.
- 1992: Joe hires the driving school’s first office manager.
- 1994: Joe begins the remodeling process at 339 South Main Street, expanding the service area to include Waupun and Campbellsport.
- Presently: Ries Driving School’s headquarters are at 643 S Military Road, and services communities in a 40-mile radius providing Classroom and Behind-the-Wheel programs. The Behind-the-Wheel fleet of vehicles consists of seven cars; a mix of Toyota Prius’ and Toyota Camry Hybrid’s.
- In the summer of 2020, Joe’s oldest son Evan becomes a state licensed Behind-the-Wheel and Classroom Instructor through the Department of Transportation in the State of Wisconsin, becoming third generation.
Programs and Classes
We offer the Online Classroom program as well as Traditional Classroom programs. For the Online Classroom program, either call the office during business hours or click here to sign up online. At least one of our Traditional Classroom programs begins in each month of the year. During the school year, our most common course is two-hour sessions two evenings a week. Summer courses are five sessions per week. The total number of classroom hours is thirty. For those with a valid Instruction Permit (Temps), we tailor Behind-the-Wheel lessons in our late-model instruction cars to suit the needs and schedules of our students. The standard program is six hours of driving practice and six hours of on-the-road observation. We pick up and drop off as needed in the city of Fond du Lac and at agreed sites in outlying areas. For a fee, we offer a Road Test Lesson on the day of a student’s state road test our instructor will pick up the student, help prepare for the Road Test as the student drives to the DMV, and accompany the student to drop-off after the test and licensing are finished.
Reviews 1Write a review
1 month ago
Summer of 2021 I made a decision to get my license at 52yrs old and boy was I scared So I called around too area driving school and Ries Driving School was the one for me Kathy the secretary was so helpful an understanding And My instructor Joe Owner of the company was just fantastic he helped me over come my fears and helped me learn to my ability Today was the big day I walked into Dmv and passed with flying colors life changing experience Highly recommended this company to anyone friendly honest caring professional staff fair pricing